I love these simple crab cakes. With fresh simple ingredients, these are one of my go-to dishes for entertaining a small group of friends. As an alternative, they can be made into small slider shapes and served as appetizers. Also trust me when I say you will love this tangy butter sauce.
Blue Crab Cakes Recipe
- 1 pound fresh or pasteurized lump blue crabmeat drained; shell pieces removed.
- 1 ½ cup panko crumbs, divided
- ¼ cup finely chopped red onion
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- ¾ teaspoon seafood seasoning, Old Bay
- ½ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
Combine onion, parsley, mayonnaise, mustard, Old Bay, Worcestershire sauce, and egg. Gently fold in the crabmeat along with ¾ cup of panko crumbs (set aside remaining). Cover and chill 30 minutes.
Shape the crab mixture into 8 patties about ¾ inches thick. In a shallow dish, roll the patties in the remaining ¾ cup of Panko crumbs, coating evenly.
In a non-stick skillet over medium heat, heat the olive oil and cook 4 crab cakes at a time for 5 to 7 minutes, turning once 2 ½ to 3 ½ minutes per side or until golden brown.
(For a more impressive crab cake use 8 ounces of lump and 8 ounces of jumbo lump crabmeat)
Tangy Butter Sauce Recipe
- ¾ cup chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons shallots (finely chopped)
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 ½ tablespoons butter
- Combine broth, shallots, and vinegar in a small saucepan.
- Bring to a boil and cook until reduced to ¼ cup.
- Remove from heat and stir in butter.
- Serve with crab cakes.
Recipe courtesy of Florida Agriculture Bureau of Seafood and Aquaculture