Looking for a date night recipe that’ll make your significant other feel like they are enjoying a 5-star dining experience? Mussels have long been considered luxury seafood. Many people find them intimidating to cook, as with any shellfish, but once you learn it becomes a delicious and easy meal to cook at any time.
We think you’ll especially love this recipe that our in-house chef created himself. This sizzling, buttery white wine reduction makes the naturally salty flavor of the mussels pop out and the hint of saffron adds an extra luxurious touch. Coupled with delicately grilled bread, it makes the perfect meal. Just add a bottle of wine and you’ll feel like you’re dining at Nobu —for half the cost! We’ve included the recipe in video form below. Check it out!
Mussels in Fresh Herbs, Saffron, White Wine, and Butter With Crusty Grilled Bread Recipe
- 1 Package Of Fresh, Live P.E.I Or Other High-Quality North Atlantic Mussels. Rinsed In Salty Ice Water And Debearded
- 1 Tbsp. Fresh Chopped Garlic
- 1 Tbsp. Shallot, Small Diced
- 2 Tbsp. Herb Salad (Parsley, Thyme, Basil, And Oregano Leaves Lightly Sliced Together).
- A Pinch Of Saffron Thread (5 Or 6 Threads)
- ½ Cup Dry White Wine
- ¼ Cup Unsalted Butter Softened
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Sea Salt And Fresh Ground Black Pepper
- 2 Slices Of Crusty Italian Bread, Oiled With Evoo And Seasoned With Salt And Pepper Then Either Grilled Or Toasted
- Using a saute pan with a lid, drizzle about 1 tablespoon of EVOO in the pan and heat it over medium-high heat until the oil starts to “dance”.
- Add the shallots and garlic and saute for one minute stirring constantly.
- Add the white wine and saffron and let the alcohol cook out of the wine.
- Add the mussels, herbs, butter, salt, and pepper.
- Cover and let steam for two minutes or until the mussels start to pop open.
- Remove the lid and gently toss the mussels.
- Serve in a bowl with crusty grilled bread for dipping.